Monday, October 24, 2005

Active Choices

I have been reflecting on the reasons I started this blog and one of them has to be my cousins back in L.A. Ever since the youngest of that threesome died tragically of cancer last Labor Day weekend, I've begun to understand the unique option of blogging. It's intimate, it's open. It's private and public. It's indulgent, it's necessary.

Now that some time has passed, I have come to see this as an opportunity to publicly state the minor details of my life that ulitmately turn the bigger wheel. I've been pondering for weeks now about who I'm going to be in the second part of my life. The solution I feel really good about is that of care giver. Not necessarily taking care of someone who is dying, but taking care of the family and friends who make my life meaningful. I can do the role. I have all of the innate and learned skills. But for the longest time, it's been about me. Now, I know I have to take care of myself before I can offer caring to others. But for the first half of my life, I've taken the "me" thing a bit too seriously. I've indulged in me. It's been about me. Sun, me. You, planets. Revolve.

My declaration this morning is my first step in a long journey about my life being about other people. Looking at who I am now, it'll be a work in progress.

2 Comments:

Blogger Princess Ody said...

congrats on your enlightenment! hmm..i've been thinking of having an others-before-me mission myself, but i've been slacking off, i just can't get round to it. thanks for reminding me. :)

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MESSAGE

5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home