Friday, November 11, 2005

My Filipinoness

This weekend I entertain my Filipino side. For the group I'm with, Asians and Friends, I'm picking up the author of "Potato Queen." He's flying in from San Francisco to do a reading for our group tomorrow night.

Tomorrow afternoon I rehearse with a group of Filipino kids on the far northwest side of the city. They're very cute. Two groups, one set in the 8th grade then a whole team of little girl munchkins. I'm choreographing their Christmas show. I don't know where the organizers are coming from casting two disperate set of kids in the same show, but "whatever," I'm being a role model and doing what I can. The kids are very cute. One little girl looks just like my auntie Aida if she somehow traveled through time and became a little girl again. I even used what little Tagalog I know, asking someone "Where is..." when I first got there and asked for the play's organizer.

If I get any more Filipino, I'll have to strap on the coconut bra and do the coconut slapping dance.

1 Comments:

Blogger celia said...

There's a filipino coconut slapping dance? Did your mom show you that one? Because I don't remember my mom showing me that one.

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home