Friday, July 07, 2006

Preparing for the Gay Games

Well, a most magical event is coming to Chicago. The 2006 Gay Games kicks off with Opening Ceremonies on Saturday, July 15, 2006, and I made the fantastic decision to be one of the dancers in the official program. I'll be one of hundreds of dancers at Soldier Field doing choreography from Joel Hall (the choreographer I've danced with for years), Kevin Iega Jeff and two other internationally reknowned choreographers.

We started rehearsals last weekend (I'm still hurting) and will resume this weekend. Then we go into three full days of rehearsals (I've taken three work days off). Then all during the games Asians and Friends Chicago has five social events going: A Friday mixer to welcome athletes (Fri. July 14 at High Risk Gallery, 1113 W. Belmont, 6-8 p.m.); Dance Gay in Chicago (Sat. July 15 at High Risk from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m.); a Sunday Hook-up reception (July 16 at High Risk, 5-7 p.m.); Solid Gold Karaoke (Wed. July 19 at @mosphere, 5355 N. Clark, 8 p.m. to midnight); and a So-Long Dance Party (Sat. July 22 at High Risk, 9 p.m. to 2 a.m.). Asians and Friends created a Go-Guide! booklet and are hoping a lot of folks come.

I'm even preparing a little dance with a white Greek dress, blonde wig and leafy wreath to "Find Your Grail" from "Spamalot" to do at my friend Chip's showcase party on Tuesday (July 11). Chip's going to be competing with his friend Mike in the ballroom competition. It'll be a blast.

Well, let's see if I survive!